View Single Post
Old 28-01-2013, 12:12 AM
stevous67 (Steve M)

Hi Josh,

Did you contact Planewave about your scope?

No helpful assistance.

did you buy the scope second hand?
NO, New.

I measured the distance from the centre bolt on the secondary, to the inside of the outer rim and all 4 measurements are the same, so hopefully this shouldnt be a problem.

Well, if the front ring is not sitting perpendicular to the dovetail in both axis, then this would be a wrong assumption. In my case, this was part of the problem. The plastic slides between the front ring and the dovetail were installed badly, causing the front ring to tilt to one side.

However, i wonder if that means it will be centred to the primary aswell?

I would not be guessing this, and use a collimated laser to prove as mentioned in my PM.

I recollimated, using CCDINS and the results show it alternating between 0.0" and about 1.5" with no or 0.1" tilt in either of the axis. How accurite do you find CCDINS?

CCDINS is very good for telling your scopes collimation situation. But you need to do +60sec exposures for a real test.

In the end, what was the exposure time tou used to get your great collimation results?

I go up to 180sec unguided to be sure, but at least 60sec.

Ive had the primary out to clean it and put it back carefully, so i know thats good. Yes, there isnt much that can be adjusted, which is good IMO, so only the secondary really can be moved.

No, the whole scope can be losened, aligned, and then tightened again. You may need to do this if you have a bad optical mis-alignment. Do the laser test to do the initial assessment.

Regards,

Steve