View Single Post
Old 27-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Nortilus (Josh)

Getting focus with Prime focus?

I seem not to be able to find any definative information about getting focus using certain cameras in prime focus on Newtonian scopes.

In my own limited experience so far i know that you need to have infocus using DSLRs and even my SPC900 webcam. I have thus cheated a little bit so far and have had an adapter made up (see images). I do however have a GSO coma corrector what i havent been able to play with yet imaging and as far as i know this will add outfocus.

Im planning very soon to add the QHY9C to my expanding equipment list and I am curious to know will this camera be in the same boat as the others I have tried so far. Will I need more infocus? If so does that mean either getting a low profile focuser or moving the mirror up the tube? Not really keen on cutting into my scope however but I will if i have to. I read that usually about 25 to 30mm is suffieciant enough and that there are ways of checking (have looked at the DIY here on IIS in regards to this).

Any added info on this will be magical, and not only to myself but others in the same boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Orginal 2 inch adapter.jpg)
147.4 KB14 views
Click for full-size image (Made up 2 inch adapter.jpg)
137.9 KB10 views