Old 28-07-2021, 02:51 PM
mariner10 (Steve)
Mariner10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Steve,
Glad to help
Ive attached one of my guiding graphs on a stable night of good seeing
As you can see there are no big excursions in Ra or Dec so this tells me the mount is performing well and I have a good calibration
I set my graph up as follows -
X:axis 200
Y:axis + - 8”
And use the Star Profile tool as well ( photo attached )
I can’t stress enough to get a good calibration ( find a location near the celestial equator and close to the north meridian ( eastern side ) where Dec is close to 0 ) and once calibration is successful, auto save your calibration so you can re use it for months and months.
Also note that I’ve had nights of bad seeing with heavy dew around and my guiding error has increased from 0.65 to 1.35 arc sec within 1 hour of imaging. But even though the graph is saw toothing badly I still didn’t have big single excursions in Dec or Ra (except during a dither) I’ve still pushed 5 minute subs with round stars at 1.35 arc sec error
Hope you sort out you guiding problems , it may take a few nights , take your time and do a checklist of all the settings and requirements with mount and software parameters
Cheers
Martin
\
Hey Martin, Once again, thanks for the info. I generally use the star profile tool and my stars actually look like the one in your photo, nice pointed peaks.
Also, I do pulse guide, I had a quick look to satisfy myself this morning so that's one item off the list.
So, I think it's going to take a few sessions of just playing with PHD to get things right.
Cheers.