View Single Post
Old 30-10-2008, 07:45 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Wireless data, not a problem, wireless power... well... umm.... I considered setting up a 12v DC regulated supply inside my house, with LONG leads, put them in a conduit underground, and just have my mount/dew setup powered from sockets in the ground... so it would always have power... however, you still have to physically flick the switch on the mount... I suppose you could set up a RF relay to do that.. its not exactly "WIRELESS" but its neatly wired to appear wireless.

Yeah.. I've looked into a lot of options.. My best yet is for planetary imaging, I set up outside laptop -> mount via ASCOM, put the laptop in a dewproof box under the mount. went inside.. jumped on my desktop, used RDP to log in to the lappie through my wireless LAN, opened K3CCDtools, opened the sky and connected it to the mount, started recording AVI's, when jupiter started to drift off the screen, used ASCOM controls to bring it back... at the end of the night, parked the mount via ASCOM, disconnected the RDP session and went back outside to pack it all up (Damn not having an observatory...)

Wow.. I just realised how completly off topic this post is, and yet, I'll still post it anyway

Nevermind.