View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 12:36 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
One thing I swear by is a heated insulated shroud, over my mount and pier. I Don't have to worry about a tripod, but I do get condensation on my pier. I made an insulated shroud that slides over my mount and about have way down the pier. Attached to my counter weight bar, low down, is a 25Watt decorative incandescent light bulb. This type of bulb produces a good heat for its size but little light ( they have that orange filament glow thing happening). The real purpose of the bulb is to create a chimney effect inside the shroud, the heated air rises creating air flow. I have a small opening at the top where I can feel the warm air exiting the shroud. This air flow keeps my mount dry, and above the condensation point. I have been doing This for years and there is no corrosion or rust on my mount.
As to the scope/s, I never leave a scope on the mount when rain is expected. Just bring it into house. The shroud system does not work with a scope on the mount anyway.
I did have a dehumidifier but all they seem to do is produce water without having much impact. I burnt two out before I gave up on them.
Glen
Thanks
Good idea
How about a single bed electric blanket ??
Variable heat control and timer , although they not waterproof they can handle a sweaty body lying on them with no electrical safety issues
I could wrap it around the mount and tripod with Velcro straps

Your thoughts ?
Martin