View Single Post
Old 13-12-2021, 10:57 AM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Lovely conditions here last night, a bit smokey to the south but the rest of the sky was fantastically clear. By the time I'd exhausted myself around 1:30am ( there was beer involved) it was looking more like a country sky than a suburban one.
Had my neighbour over to show him Jupiter which was good, he liked that. I then swung back to Pleiades with the 20mm GSO super Plossal and then the beautiful M42 which we both really liked.
I let him loose on the moon which saw him start to master the EQ mount and find that straight line through some crater, google it and tell me what it was. A rhyll or something from memory, there was beer involved and he was starting to hog the scope so what was l to do.
He bid me good night around 10:30 and l settled in to find something good, anything.
My laptop had turned itself off long ago, l was too lazy to fetch the extension cord so l persisted with my phone and mobile Stellarium, on the hunt for Uranus.
Unfortunately too many beers had been enjoyed, often the way our nights go, him being a brewer both professionally and at home and, myself being a world class conisour of the amber gift from the God's.
No Usanus was found, and it was getting mighty cold so packed up and quietly slid into bed.

The best thing l learnered last night, having someone there to share it all with makes it way more enjoyable and, l now see the attraction of wide FOV EP's in the 30 to 40mm range. Trying to star hop is bloody difficult and having a wider FOV would make it so much easier.
That's all from me for now, I'll be back out tonight somewhere outside of Perth but not staying overnight as planned, too much to do around home.
Good morning and clear skies to you all.