View Single Post
Old 14-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

An isssue id very much like to see covered but with the added cooling as if youre going to that level for the extra its going to be worth it, the standard modded 40d might go say 10 mins exposure whereas the cooled could extend way beyond that.

So far ken G, Hagar and seeker372011 have got one that i know of, and on the other side for the cooled camera its h0ughy that owns one (350d)

Ive been impressed by the results with h0ughys camera, particularly the Ha response (see photon collectors cg4 image) the 40d can only be better.

on the q8 forum/images im impressed with the ability to go 20 min exposures.

there does not seem to be a real comparison just yet as i really dont think m42 or m8 is a worthwhile comparitive study, some more challenging objects need to be displayed, and then of couse the processing skills of the imager will also play a part.

The 40 d has 10+ megapixels , the q8 has about 6, whether the extra pixels can be utilised in anything other than widefield is debateable.

icing up would be an issue id like to know about, the q8 is pretty much sealed i dont know for the 40d that issue.

the weight factor of a modded 40d vs q8 would have the 40d weighing in way over the q8 i expect. which is an issue with less than solid focusers.

i would like to know about the image format and software for the q8 as the cannon has a solid package that is easy to use.

Just my musings at the moment, im leaning evr so slightly towards the q8 at the moment.

clive.