View Single Post
Old 25-08-2020, 08:56 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I don't know which programme(s) you use for image processing, especially integration, but I have found a Median integration to nearly always mitigate or even remove entirely any FPN. Average integration on the other hand, seems to show it (especially on bloody SBIG cameras).
G'day Lewis. I'm using a SX CCD in Maxim to image, DeepSky Stacker to stack and PS5 to process (while I try to get my head around PI).

I'm approaching the solution a step at a time. Tonight's first baby step was to redo the PA. SharpCap told me I managed an "excellent" alignment. I haven't bothered to do a SYnScan 3-star alignment and Polar align (the new version of SynScan offers a good routine for this).

If this artifact persists, I will drop my guiding subs from 5 to 2 seconds. But I'm imaging from a suburban location within a km of the sea so seeing quality is pretty bleah making it difficult to find a guide star most of the time unless you run to longer subs.

If neither of those things produces a result I'll try to find how to dither in Maxim. I can't see it on a quick skim but it's sure to be there somewhere. If not I'll switch guiding to PHD2 but that means running yet another software package and straining the old CPU a heap more than I like.

Anyway, that's the plan. It'll be interesting to whether there are incremental improvements or none at all. I'll try to come back to this thread with a report. Might be a little while though. I'm headed to get some bits of me cut off this Friday as a result of which I may not be imaging for a couple of weeks.

Peter