View Single Post
Old 14-10-2011, 07:49 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroAussie View Post
That is a super deal. I saw that very set up (new) for $27,000. I don't mind the shipping but that GST is a killer! Do you also have to pay import duty on 2nd hand goods? I'm not sure. Is that why you are suggesting a holiday to the US? How would that work? Can I just bring it back as "extra luggage"? It's not that small so I imagine it could attract a little attention.

I am not aware of any import duty on scopes. On mounts? I don't think so. The GST got rid of a lot of stuff like that. The guys who got their PMX mounts lately didn't have any import duty.

You still have to pay GST when you bring it back in as luggage but the shipping cost of all that is going to be similar to a return ticket plus perhaps a bit of excess luggage weight charge.

I've sent Yuri an email about the availability of his models and I'll let you know his reply.

Greg/Bill,
Might be a steal! Might try and get some more details. Had the pleasure of looking thorugh the Officina Stellare Hiper APO 130 last night. It was quite something. It did split Antares (which was a little low) , Jewel box was stunning , M7 pinpoint stars. Used a WO quartz diagonal and Carl Zeiss Jena eyepiece which was a treat. Fantastic visual scope! But once again value for $$$ is the big question. I have seen AP scopes for sale on Astromart and CN classifieds for $5000-$6000. So has SWMBO who has suggested maybe we both go to the US for a holiday and pick up something like this. I saw an AP130 F6 + mount and a whole buch of Televue eyepieces and barlows for $6250 on CN classifieds but not sure it is a really safe place to deal considering all of the warnings the website puts on there regarding scam deals. Then again like you Greg I am very partial to the Fluorite triplet so have not ruled out TEC but their most appropraite for me is the TEC160FL. Guess I could always have crack at the TOA150 and sell the OTA and buy a TEC160FL if I wanted to. I have recently heard nothing but glowing reports regarding the TEC160FL photographically and visually. And to be honest the current IOTW shows how good a TEC140ED is for photo.
Then again, buying the 130-140 gives me more portability and the budget to get the accessories.
Ahhhh it's all fun but I think my head is going to explode
Regards,
Lucas
Yes these are the many considerations that you go over and over.

I am sure the Officina 130mm scope is great its just that a new AP130GT is only about US$6750 or something similar so how can someone justify the huge price difference. Perhaps because it is made in Europe and it seems they pay nearly 50% more for astronomy gear. They must have a lot of taxes etc.

My advice is to get the biggest and best upfront otherwise I can tell you are going to want the bigger one later just like I did and it will cost you in the changeover. Its like pulling off a bandaid, rip it off and get it over and done with. A TOA 150 is a heavy scope. I presume its still portable though. The TEC160FL would be lighter I am sure. My TEC180FL is "portable" (its quite long in its case, but it fits in the back of a Toyota Prado) and it will run on an NJP (I did this for several years).
TEC had 2 sets of glass left to make a 180 recently. I can check with Yuri for you if interested. Someone posted he had no glass sets left for TEC160FL and the glass company wasn't doing a melt on that glass for the rest of this year. Again, I can check for you.

TEC140 is a well known and well loved scope. Slightly wide field though but then again not as much as a 130 scope.
Same as AP140. It would depend on what camera you were using with it.

His Yuri's response to the email:

Message Body

Greg,
APO140ED - ~5 mo
APO160/180 - no timing yet since we do not know if Schott will make new melt of one of the glasses... This question be answered in January only.
If your friend is looking for scope for general use - I would recommend him APO140 - our best seller (over 550 sold).
deposit of $1200 is required to place an order.
best regards, Yuri

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 14-10-2011 at 12:25 PM.