View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 10:48 PM
LucasB (Lucas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
You're welcome Lucas.

If the dealer said OS make a fluorite triplet perhaps they do. They specs on the Hiper 130mm says OK4 glass which is LZOS. Not many companies actually make the lenses. Even Tak uses a subcontractor. OK4 is Russian Glass. As far as I know there are only 2 fluorite suppliers - Schott Glass in Germany and OHara glass in Japan. OK4 glass lens is a giveaway that the lens is really a LZOS air spaced triplet. OK4 is exotic glass like FPL53 and it contains mostly fluorite and has been referred to by dishonest marketers - notably William Optics, incorrectly as fluorite which is a different type of lens.

I have yet to hear anyone unhappy with a TEC140 and they are new about US$5500 from Yuri.

I have bought many things from Astromart. I was diddled only once - an SBIG ST10XME that never arrived. I chased the guy and he did repay me about half the money and now with their economy in poor shape he hasn't paid any more for a long time.

So if buying from Astromart I would always ask for a photo of the goods, the sellers phone number and call them. I would only buy off of those with multiple high ratings over a long period. Then I think it is quite safe.
You can have them get the scope professionally packaged if you are concerned about packaging. The bulk of the people in this pursuit are older more responsible middle class type people and I find very trustworthy if you do the above. I did win an auction for an AP160 once for US$17,000. I called the guy and he said he wanted me to send the money to his father in law because he was going through bankruptcy court and he didn't want to disclose the money. I talked to the father in law over the phone and he sounded OK. But there was no mention of any of this in the ad. So I thought I would turn the tables on him on trust and ask him to ship and I would pay on arrival. He was all offended. Perhaps I flushed him out. I told the owner of Astromart about what he told me and he immediately banned the guy from the site and would not allow him to relist it. So that was a dodgy deal but it may still have worked out but US$17K? You want everything to be clear and clean.

TEC140's go for about US$4500 to $5000 2nd hand and I think they are about $5500 new with probably a wait of 6 months or so.

There was an AP140 for sale last week for US$8500.

Tak TOA130 sell often for around US$4500 or less. I think any comment that the TOA series is a bit less than the TEC or AP is untrue. Ask any TOA owner. Apart from the fact that TOA scopes are quite heavy for their aperture (and thus put a strain on the mount) they are amazing instruments. Have a look at Marcus Davies images on this site using a TOA150.

You've got a large budget there Lucas and you should be able to get something spectacular for that much.

AP130 GTs are often for sale on Astromart for about US$6500-7000 and they are fairly new. Usually they post an image of the lens if you are worried about scratches.

William Optics 132mm I suspect also use a LZOS lens and they sell for about US$3000 or less 2nd hand.

Greg.
That is very handy information and you are correct, I am after something spectacular! The primary lens in the OS APOs are LZOS OK4 and I have been informed that they are assembled by APM. I think they could be a great telescope but as you have pointed out are very pricey. I would hate to lose half of my hard earned the minute I purchased a telescope. Strehl ratio is a bit of a funny animal considering there is no unique standard adhered to. It's hard to know whether it's calculated or measured by an interferometer, polychromatic or single wavelength and then if it is polychromatic, the weight each wavelength is given to calculate the overall Strehl. I think it gives a pretty good indication of telescope optics but there is reputation to consider. Astrophysics, TEC and Takahashi are all established but Officina Stellare, although they are an offshoot of A&M, are relatively new. Most imporatntly I weight the opinions of people like yourself who have used multiple refractors over years very highly and combined with Strehl and reputation you have a solid basis for decision making (Yes - I found an old thread where you marked 9 refractors you have used over the years).
I would love to get my hands on a AP130GT or AP140 but when I look on Astromart I see a lot of sellers not wanting to ship internationally. I know that sellers do so I guess I will have to keep my eyes open and be patient for the right one to come along. If I was to get a TEC I reckon I'd get one new considering the difference to 2nd hand is minimal.
My thinking is that the answer to my original question would be to buy an exotic refractor at the right price (still have to decide which) and with the savings get myself a reducer/flattener and a CCD.

Regards,
Lucas