View Single Post
Old 17-06-2021, 09:30 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

So... I've ummed & ahhed about posting here but, I've decided it's too important a subject to not say something.

In October of last year I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at the age of 53. My Gleeson score showed low grade (3+3) but, high volume with 5/6 of my prostate affected. Thus began the process of coming to terms with it & deciding which of the treatment options suited me best. Fortunately for me, I had time... there was urgency to act but, not in the immediate term so I had time to prepare both physically & mentally, this is not always the case.

Wednesday last week I underwent robotic surgery to have my prostate removed & yesterday, my catheter was removed & I received my post op pathology report...

Who knew a simple phrase such as 'clear at the margins' could make one so happy... as an additional bonus, my bladder function is exceptionally good with only very minor leakage... Awesome!! Effectively this means cancer free... cured... sure, I have to have a confirming blood test in 3 months time but, I'd have to be really unlucky...

Now, the important stuff:

Approximately 3,200 or so men DIE from prostate cancer in Australia each year!! It is second only to lung cancer as the most common cause of DEATH in Australian men...

Now let that sink in for a minute!!

So:

1. If you are over 45, please go and get a simple PSA blood test... all of you are at a 1 in 6 risk of having prostate cancer!

2. If you are over 40, have a history of prostate cancer in your family, your risk is higher at 1 in 3... please go and get a simple PSA blood test!

3. If you have increased urinary frequency, please go and get a simple PSA blood test!!

It's not the be all & end all of testing but, it's simple & generally very effective at least determining if something untoward is going on in your prostate & IT MIGHT JUST SAVE YOUR LIFE!!

Finally, being diagnosed with cancer is an extremely confronting & life changing event... but, you do not have to suffer in silence... reach out, seek help from family, friends & most importantly to someone who has already travelled the path on which you are starting out... it's so important, I can't stress this enough.

I was blessed to have an awesome treatment team & some truly wonderful people in my life who helped me navigate the roller coaster of emotions that is a cancer diagnosis... some of those people are on this forum who I have formed friendships with over the years despite, not necessarily meeting them in person... You know who you are, I won't embarrass you... But, thankyou so much for your support.

I also reached out to Nikolas (Nik) the OP of this thread, his response was nothing short of amazing... his generosity in sharing a very personal experience was both humbling & uplifting... He helped in ways no-one who hasn't been through it can... you need to find someone, preferably in your age bracket who has already travelled this road, it's vital, I can't emphasise this enough..

Thankyou Nikolas for your support in the journey so far, we both have a ways to travel but, your counsel & insight into your own journey has been absolutely invaluable. I am truly grateful... words alone cannot express my gratitude!

So, three things... if you fit one of the categories I listed at the start, go get tested... preach to all your male friends about the importance of getting tested... & if you are suffering from prostate cancer now or in the future & need the counsel of a fellow traveller (and you will), reach out, please, just reach out!

It's my turn now to pay it forward, so if your out there, looking for someone who's already been there, please flip me a PM, I can't fix it for you, I can't make decisions for you but, I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU NAVIGATE THIS JOURNEY in the same way Nikolas did for me!!

My journey is not over, in reality, it will never be over but, I'm alive, I'm here & I AM A PROSTATE CANCER SURVIVOR!!

Thanks for your indulgence...

Postscript: For those of you who have had military service in Australia (& possibly Commonwealth) DVA will cover treatment if you are diagnosed with any form of Cancer... I hate dealing with DVA but, in this case, it took them less than a week from submitting my form to Non-liability Health Cover section, to receive approval for treatment... this meant my out of pocket has been ZERO!! It's a small silver lining in the scheme of things but, it is a silver lining nonetheless!!

Last edited by Outcast; 17-06-2021 at 09:48 AM.