View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 02:57 PM
209herschel (Herschel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Herschel,

Good decision to get a dob. I got the GSO 10" not too long ago and I'm loving it. I can't really comment on how that compares with the 8", but it's the sweet spot of aperture vs portability at the larger end, at least for me. I do not put aperture above all else, so I could see the 8" working for somebody else who was in a different situation to me. Advice I had sought on this forum beforehand was spot-on. I also got this tool from Bintel to collimate it:

http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx

Once you figure out what's what when you look through it, it's actually straight forward. The device itself is remarkably simple and built like a tank. I would recommend getting the knurled collimating knobs for the secondary. They were the only mod I felt was needed. Bintel sells those as well. The philips head screws were just a pain. The primary knobs & locking screws are sufficient IMO and do not need replacing. I understand they were a recent addition by GSO.

In terms of eye pieces, I was fortunate enough to already own a few premium ones, and these give unbelievable views in the dob, despite a bit of coma (which I find perfectly acceptable). However, I think the GSO 30, 24, and maybe even the 15 will keep you happy for a while. Personally I did not like the 9mm, it was crap TBH and I have no use for it. Could be a bad sample though.

I intend to fill the gaps in my eyepiece lineup with some ES samples later on. I have looked through quite a few and found them to be excellent value.

Anyway enjoy your scope once you get it out under the stars. Inner West sounds worse than it is. I know I'm a bit further out, but depending on where you are, you may actually get quite reasonable views.

OK back to work, lunch break nearly over..

Edit: Alex, interesting read as always. 5mm Hyperion has been added to my wish list

Thanks very much for this information. I found some ES eyepieces at this site: http://www.vtioptics.com.au/ They've got a 6.7mm for $189 delivered. Is that the sought of eyepiece that would be great for moon and planetary viewing? One other question I had was about buying second hand eyepieces. I've read a couple of things saying that eye lash oil, smudges on the lenses need to be professionally cleaned. Is that true - you can't just clean an eyepiece easily? Thanks again. I asked in another post if anyone knows of places close to the inner west where one can take a scope for a sky that's a bit darker? A place not far away (say within 30min) but that's pretty dark - at least better than an inner west back yard! Thanks again.