View Single Post
Old 26-05-2014, 06:09 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Glen, one thing I have noticed with live view is that often I can't see any stars at 1x zoom, just a black screen, but if I go to 5x and scroll around the field I can usually then pick up a faint star.
Once I centre that star at 5x I can then zoom to 10x, adjust it's centreing and then adjust focus.
Also, this will depend on the f-ratio of the scope/lens used.

It will also depend on how much the stars are out-of-focus, the small amount of spread light available from a very out of focus star will not have enough energy for the sensor to pick it up.
I find that at f6 or faster, if I'm sure I've got the object reasonably centred and focus is somewhere close, a scan around at 5x I'll more often than not find a usable star.
I can definitely get stars around Eta Carinae.

Pretty much the only time I have problems is with any filters fitted.
For example, when I have the Hydrogen Alpha filter fitted, there is no chance in hell of seeing anything on live view so I resort to setting the ISO to the highest it will go and taking short 5 to 10 second exposures, reviewing the results and homing in on the focus that way. Can take a few minutes and a few exposures this way, but it's worth it in the end.