View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 11:43 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMO View Post
Thanks for your time but I have been aware that Apogee will put any chip inside their models (didn't know FLI did).

The issue is obtaining a self-guiding CCD camera, which SBIG seems to have the "patent" for. I'm by no means a newbie (used to be here on another username but left that facility after 27 years) but I suppose my "gripe" is that there is not much of a selection with SBIG now, unless you want to go up to really big bucks, for a self-guided cameras anymore.

I'll just keeping trying to hunt for second hand SBIG ST-10XME or even a SBIG ST8-XME and hope one turns up.

I'm not going to spend the bucks on a STT-3200 or such like because basically because, I only have a 2" focuser and the flat plane of my reducer for the 'scope I want to put it on, only has a maximum diagonal of 17 mm. Being a SCT, I don't want to have to worry about guide scope deflection with a seperate guider either. It is not going on the old C14 I used to use, that had the "flopper stopper" mirror locks - the OTA I want this camera to be on, is my 12" LX-200 f/5 OTA Meade on a Losmandy mount.

We have other high end cameras on our 24" Planewave, 5" refractor and C14 hyperstar. I have used a ST-8, ST-9 and ST-10 on this very 'scope but those cameras were at a previous facility or on loan. I don't have them anymore.

Hasen.
A 24 inch Planewave CDK? Nice. I have a 17 inch CDK and love it. Planewave also are continually updating their product.
9 micron KAF16803 chipped cameras work well on a CDK and are an excellent match.
For an SCT your choices are definitely limited. ST10XME is 6.6 micron pixels though. 1001E would be one choice as you mention.

off axis guiders though are better than self guiding unless you only do LRGB imaging in which case self guiding is good. OAG with an SBIG STi is quite a bit superior to self guiding so unless you have a lack of backfocus I think that is the way to go. QSI have the 583 and 683 series with the 5.4 micron 60%QE KAF8300 chip which can have a built in OAG and filter wheel. That would work with a small corrected circle more than likely.

8300 chip is no good though for 24 inch CDK. 9 micron 16803 is best, 12 micron KAF9000 is an alternative but you would be limited to FLI as it requires RBI control (ghost images). FLI implements that the best. So a FLI Microline 09000 or FLI Proline 09000 with 12 micron pixels and an off axis guider (Astrodon MMOAG) with an SBIG STi guide camera may be a hot setup for you. You'd have to satisfy yourself that the RBI problem (its bad with the 09000 chip) is conquered though.

I have been working up at Leura in the last few months. Such a gorgeous place.

Greg.