View Single Post
Old 02-02-2024, 05:43 PM
Plossl68 (Paul)

Hi Joe,

I’m embarrassed to admit this but……

The last time I used the lens was on the beach. To protect it from any mist fogging it, I’d bought an inexpensive UV filter to screw on the front. Problem was that I forgot to remove the filter before packing it away. So, when I pulled it out in the dark at Daylesford 3 months later I didn’t even see the filter was still screwed on. I took some test shots and noticed some slight star shape issues. To try and improve things I stopped it down and ran my sequence. It was only when I was packing up the next morning that I saw the filter was still in place.

Lots of cursing, but I only have myself to blame.

Cheers,
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
That's a very nice shot but would you share your thinking about why you stopped the lens down to f8?

The Samyang 135mm f2 is very sharp at f2. Stopping down to f2.8 or f4 it quickly becomes quite superb to the corners even with a full frame sensor and certainly with an APSc sensor. I have only ever stopped it down to f 5.6 once when I deliberately wanted to extend the exposure time to 4 mins to test the tracking accuracy of a small SW Star Adventurer tracker.

The main problem with that lens using full frame is vignetting where flats would help. The cut is very hard on full frame and on APSc it is far less of a problem.

cheers

Joe