View Single Post
Old 18-02-2015, 07:26 PM
AstroJason (Jason)

Just seen that this post I posted back in September last year is back up. Sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckechg View Post
Hi - Have you shared your method of cooling your 6D as I have moded 6D and love it, my 10 min subs last night are a bit noisey

I think I want to cool now... :-)
Hey Grant, the method I use for cooling my 6D is a cooler box design (not via cold finger). It is based on the same method Gary Honis uses here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
awesome result Jason. got to be happy with that!!

well done,

Cheers

Rusty
Thanks Rusty, yes I am happy with the temperature although it is the temperature within the box, I am unsure what the temperature at the sensor is. Regardless, there is a VERY noticable difference in noise shown in the darks at the temperatures I recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Jason, you say you have been building a Cooler Box for your camera. Myself and few others have been experimenting with this idea for a while and not acheiving anywhere near the same temperature results you appear to have reached.

Does your design include a cold finger to the sensor area ?

Anything I or others have created cools the internals of the box to below zero but the sensor takes ages to get anywhere near that and due to poor thermal conductivity and a very protective camera body as soon as any number of frames are run the temp climbs rapidly back upwards to near ambient.

Do you have another trick we are unaware of ?
Brent, my design cools the internal air of the box, so not a cold finger. I have no idea what the temperature is like at the sensor. I have looked for this in the EXIF data but I don't think its recorded with the 6D (would like to know if someone can prove otherwise).

That said, I think the darks attached to this post speak for themselves. While the stated temperature on each image was the air temp inside the cooler box (not at the sensor) there is a huge difference in the amount of noise in the darks.

In terms of a "trick"... I think the body of the 6D might just simply be a better conductor than the lower spec range of DSLRs. This is mainly because the 6D has a magnesium alloy body as opposed to a plastic body for say the 1100D. The underside of my 6D comes into direct contact with the aluminium box plate so I think this is helping to cool the camera down to the levels where the noise is reduced as shown in my darks.

All this said, I am yet to image with my cooler box... Been too lazy to use it but I will next time I go out to Wiruna. I will post a photo of my cooler box when I get a chance shortly.

Cheers all,

Jason