View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 03:50 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I guess even with an uncovered permanent pier you may have some slight movement in Alt and Az when you bolt the mount head onto it and therefore throw your PA out slightly ???
I set up a tripod each time but have a true south line scored along the ground ( pavers ) to align my tripod
I used the solar noon shadow method 3 years ago to find true south and scored a permanent line along my pavers at my 2 locations. This line is pretty darn close as I usually only need very small adjustments in Alt and Az to polar align
I originally bought an expensive Silva compass with magnetic declination and using this to find true south was a fat waste of time , it was so far out compared to my solar noon shadow true south line ( I sold the compass to a bush walker )

For those who may be interested, I have a procedure saved to use the solar noon shadow method to mark a true south line under your tripod ( it’s only useful if your location is on a reasonably flat level hard surface like pavers, tiles or concrete etc... obviously won’t work on grass or gravel etc... )
Cheers