View Single Post
Old 08-05-2023, 06:29 PM
ronson

Flat Field Panel recommendation query

Hi all,

Lately I've been looking at options to replace my current setup I use for taking flats. Currently, I use an LED tracing panel + sheets of paper to darken the brightness when required. This is not optimal and the scope setup + the sheer size of the panel (A3) requires me to be holding it with one hand while operating the acquisition app at the same time. Not convenient, plus I suspect the LED panel's uniformity and color are not great.

So, I went on a search of what is out there. Been reading astro forums, review websites, watching videos etc. In short, there are multiple options, but mainly the divider is the light technology used, either LED or EL. GN Aurora, Primaluce Giotto, Geoptik, Deep Sky Dad, Alnitak, Ellumiglow, DIY etc.

The requirements I've set for myself are:
  • No automation required i.e., no open/close mechanism required.
  • No permanent attachment to the scope required. It's a portable setup.
  • Be able to control the brightness level manually e.g., via a dimmer switch on the device.
  • Power either via batteries (AA, 9V etc) or 12V DC.
  • To be suitable for both OSC and mono (LRGBSHO filters).
  • Good uniformity, 1% or less.
  • Preference for something that can be secured to the front of scope rather than just sit on top e.g., nylon screws. But this is not essential.

Looking for something that can work with refactors between 60-80mm in diameter.

Budget: max $400-500, but the less the better

So, if you are still reading, the reason for this post is to reach out to the forum and ask for some advice what would fit my requirements.

Thank you in advance.