View Single Post
Old 30-05-2013, 10:22 AM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

[ the below information is, I am sure, known to BOSS members, but it should be valuable to our diverse IIS readership in providing a perspective on 'pro' vs 'amateur' research ]

Well, each of the BOSS members now has his own individual citation record.

It's the ultimate accolade, as each of you are now officially researchers who will be cited in other papers.

A person can only be cited if he/she has actually done scientific research;

and we all know that, these days, the bar is set very high before a person can say that they are a scientist.
For instance, if people go along the 'official route' of becoming a scientist, they virtually have to get a PhD before they are even allowed to sweep the floor of the observatory!
Moreover, I might add, I can list many individual cases of people who did astronomy PhDs who nonetheless were still unable to do research afterwards; which just goes to prove that doing scientific research is not easy!

In contrast, BOSS have achieved the status of becoming researchers in a more enjoyable way;
through enthusiasm, enjoyment, the excitement of discovery, hard work, diligence, and the efficient application of a great deal of knowledge.

One good thing about your non-standard path to becoming 'research men' is that, as amateurs, you don't have to turn up to work at the observatory unless you feel like it!!

cheers,
galaxyman