View Single Post
Old 19-10-2021, 10:01 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
They’re known to have a lot of backlash. If you’re okay tuning them out, they should work fine, depending on the scope, with a bit of effort.
When I looked at it, for my Esprit I had to modify my scope to fit it and that didn’t seem good at all. That, plus the backlash meant I went with a Sesnto Senso 2 which is a very good unit. Highly recommended. Minimal backlash and easy to tune out with a gauge dial.
I don’t know about yours , but I have 2 on different scopes ( focal length 1000mm ) and focusing is so precise it’s ridiculous,the movement is Swiss watch stuff. If there is any backlash it’s negligible
I usually focus on a mag 2.0 to 3.0 star ( zoomed in 8x ) and the slow focus speed is actually too slow which means you have some tolerance in and out
I use my diffraction spikes to achieve tight focus , when they are sharp swords as sharp as I can visually achieve , I’m done.Never had an out of focus image at my focal length using the visual method. Pixel / centroid software methods are fine but at the end of the day your eyes ( or someone else’s eyes )have to be the final judge. Unless your imaging at 2500mm to 4000mm then software is definitely needed but eyes are still the final judge at the end of the day.

Cheers
Martin