View Single Post
Old 18-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

I have concerns for the sheer size and weight of a 6" dob, that it will be appropriate as a first scope for an 8 year old, despite what John said. John, your son grew up in an environment of telescopes and you as a teacher. Let's not forget, Becky is after a children's telescope. The child is going to have to rely on someone to get it outside, call for help everytime he wants to move it's position around the yard if there's trees in the way, and get help to bring it in. I have a 6" dob myself, and I cannot handle the weight of this, so ended up having to get wheels fitted to the base, but still have to lift it over humps. I see nothing wrong in keeping to a low budget and seeing how this interest grows before committing to $$ and storage issues with such a large scope. I had a lot of fun with a 70mm reflector and binoculars when I was young and getting my first decent scope was something I eventually worked towards. If I had a penny for every 8 year old that said they were determined to do "....." (fill in the blank- marine biologist, archeologist etc),and then got over it, I would be very rich (my child included). But you do what you can at the time and within reason to foster your childs interests obviously, not go full out and full on straight up. The 6" dob is considered is considered the entry level "serious scope".

However, all this being said, Becky, you would have a better idea of what your son can handle, so now that you are armed with some information, you need to physically have a look at these scopes and talk to someone in person.