View Single Post
Old 13-02-2016, 12:24 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Hi, I'm a newly registered member that couldn't help not give some advice here.
Many years ago when purchasing a pair of binoculars for astronomy, I was told that to maximize the amount of light transmission, especially at night, choose a pair with a large exit eye relief value.
What this means is that when the pupil of a young adult is dark adapted, their pupil will be dilated to about 7mm. Now matching your binocular eyepiece exit eye relief to the diameter of your dilated pupil will give you the maximum amount of light transmission.
This is calculated by dividing the power rating of the binoculars into the diameter of the objective lens. For example, 11 x 80, 10 x 70, 7 x 50, 5 x 35, will all meet the requirement.
If you are an older adult or you want to use your binoculars primarily for daytime use, then you can afford smaller exit eye relief values. Thus, 10 x 50, 8 x 42, 6 x 30, would all be suitable and a nice compromise for day or night viewing.
Keep in mind that the higher powers and larger objectives without stabilization will be more difficult to keep steady. I think 7 x 50 binoculars are a comfortable and good all rounder but it also comes down to portability and convenience as well, some binoculars are quite large and heavy to carry around.
Good luck with your choice.