View Single Post
Old 19-08-2010, 08:59 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Gday Mark

Dunno there. To me, its like gaffa taping a micrometer to the end of a wooden ruler. The major PE in the Meades comes from the GBx and worm. Properly aligning the geartrain gives much more benefit than changing transfer gears.

Ahh but again, you are bashing yr head against a brick wall
When guiding in Polar, the RA never reverses, hence lash is no problem.
In DEC, the Meade code to apply backlash correctly is broken, and good gears wont fix this. ( I am currently trying to patch this ).
Also, for many people, retrograde motion is more of a problem than lash. Ie again it comes down to the massive variability in the Meade mounts.

Andrew
Hi Andrew

Once I took up the slack in my transfer gears there was almost zero movement in the gears. My backlash settings went from about 70% to 10% and it was easily possible to use an autoguider to get 10 min + subs (I could not do this before I made the adjustments). I also took the time to fiddle with the worm mesh etc as I had the whole thing apart in any case and no doubt this also helped. If they were serious about accurate drive systems they would use the ball type setups found in CNC machines. I also thought of slotting the holes on my mounting plate with my mill but have come up with a much better idea I think and will try it when I get a chance if I don't rip it off the fork first. Interesting info about the behaviour under guide commands. Are you saying the mount will not respond to a guider command to reverse the work to get things back on track?

Mark