View Single Post
Old 29-11-2007, 08:10 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

Just a couple of side line issues.

1. Getting 60 fps depends on whether you use a small image scale with a small barlow or using a much larger aperture and a larger aperture. Just like a terrestrial camera you need to expose the frames correctly to prevent either over exposure or in this case under exposure. You won't be able to expose your frames very well and have large image scale with a 200mm telescope. There is just not enough light to make that happen. You will be able to use a 2X or 3x barlow and image at around 6000-7000mm. Jupiter for instance will look about 45mm on a frame. In that case you might be able to image at 30fps. I have a C14 and can only image at 45fps max at 14000mm. Jupiter is the size of an large orange in that case, so you can see 60fps is really only reserved for really bright objects and having a really large scope.

2. Yes, you have a valid point you could buy a mono and learn how to use the camera and some basic processing. It will mean you will not have to spend more money if you really get into planetary imaging. My vote, yes.

3. If you choose not to get the Mono, rather than get a Toucam (900nc) get the DBK; it comes without the IR cut filter in front of the chip. It is better for astro imaging. The DBK is a better performer too. So this is recommended if you want to go with a simple colour camera. It cost more than the 900nc, but gives better images once you practice focus and the controls.

So something to think about, but I reckon the DMK (can be a guide camera and planetary imager but in colour) or the DBK and that will get you better quality images in colour than the Toucam.