View Single Post
Old 28-11-2021, 04:21 PM
Stephane

Thanks Mark, Hans and Martin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Nicely framed too , although personally I like my diffraction spikes north south on an image , some folk don’t really bother. Did you crop quite a bit around the image ??

Thanks, I didn't pay any attention to where the diffractions spikes would appear, but for now I think I quite like that random look. Maybe in time, I will try orienting them.

I cropped a little, maybe 15% of the image was cut off. I had some weird colours and dark corners that I couldn't remove in processing. Perhaps in time, as I improve processing skills, I won't need to crop so much. Not having any flats surely didn't help. This camera has very heavy vignetting.

Quote:
Background obviously needs cleaning up, but calibration and some processing can fix that issue. Also to get your PHD2 guiding up and running on a first attempt is a tremendous achievement, some folk struggle with it.
Yes, agreed. I might actually take some flat frames now and re-attempt processing, maybe slightly darker this time. I am also looking forward to adding much more data to this image.

Thanks Martin re guiding, I believe it's thanks to all the parameters you sent me. They worked perfectly first time. I polar aligned with the 3 point polar alignment technique in NINA which Cuiv raves about. It got the mount polar aligned within an arc minute. Not sure whether that would help guiding, but I'm glad I did it.

Quote:
Next time maybe push for longer subs up to 2 minutes and see how your stars fair
I'd love to. The only issue I am having with NINA is that it is not allowing me to do more than 30 second exposures which I found extremely annoying. 30 seconds is the limit of the camera. I have an intervalometer which overrides that and can take longer subs, but I haven't worked out if / how Nina can override it.

Quote:
Did you use a coma corrector as I can detect a little bit of coma towards the corners or maybe Collimation is a tad out ??
I did use the coma corrector. I have the same one as you the Baader MPCC MkIII. I attached it to the ring adaptor on one end and the L-Extreme filter on the other end. Not sure why there is still coma and have no idea how I am going to fix that

Thanks for all your input.
Stéphane