View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 08:16 PM
Dave882 (David)

NGC7293 - The Eye in the Sky

Yes another Helix nebula! This time giving the big ol' stink eye up close at 2700mm and only just squeezing it into the frame of my asi2600mc. I was amazed at how many background galaxies are present so wanted to push as many subs in RGB as possible (as the moon allowed), and combined with a couple of nights worth of subs with the IDAS NBZ dual band filter.

Happy to have managed to resolve some of the cometary globules and filaments emanating radially from the central star. Apparently, there's about 40,000 of these globules, each larger than our solar system! They're much denser than the surrounding matter and moving slower than the rest of the material that's ejected - hence their unique 'comet-like' appearance.

Terrible sky conditions of the last few weeks with tonnes of high cloud and misty/foggy conditions here all over the place so the data is quite noisy, and without true narrowband data I'm really struggling to bring out those outer regions, but I'm happy to leave this one here for 2022 and maybe come back to it later for a deeper look in Ha / Oiii.

Bigger version here

Approx 9hrs total integration
Combo data of: IDAS NBZ 30%, Optolong UHC 50%, no filter 20%
C14 non edge @f7
EQ8 pro
Asi2600mc pro
Asi290mm / celestron OAG
ASIAIR pro / APP / PS/LR

Comments & criticisms welcome. Thanks for dropping in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_8923.jpg)
212.8 KB127 views

Last edited by Dave882; 08-08-2022 at 08:39 PM.