View Single Post
Old 17-06-2010, 01:02 PM
bloodhound31

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Aah, reason I was asking has already been covered by Gavin. Even though the lens is faster, you'd be best to stop it down a bit for sharpness.

As I said on POTN, why not just up the ISO? What ISO have you been using?
From what I understand, upping the ISO doesn't bring any more light into your chip, it just turns up the volume of the photons gathered, like turning up the sound volume on your stereo. It also turns up the volume of all the false light (noise).

In my limited experience, every time I have upped the ISO, especially for this sort of shooting, the noise gets lots worse, coupled with horrible horizontal lines right across the frame. I wish I could shoot at ISO400, but I am usually on ISO800 and the noise is yuck. If I got a F/2.8, perhaps I could still expose for 30 seconds, but drop the ISO. That would probably be sweet.

Besides messing around with dark subtraction from a couple of thousand frames, I see no way past that except to bring in more light in the first place and shorten the exposure. One really wants to be doing as little PP as is necessary.