View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 10:25 AM
glend (Glen)

If your considering retiring to a coastal location, make sure that there are adequate health facilities nearby. Sooner or later you or your spouse will need health support or emergency treatment, planning now may save your life. Don't assume a helicopter is going to land in front of your house and wisk you off to OR at a large public hospital.

If your considering the south coast of NSW as a location, as most Canberran's seem to do, investigate the health facilties available in the area. A typical stent insetion in a corornary artery will require a trip to a Catherisation Lab, normally only available at a large public hospital. Ask questions about this sort of thing before you commit to an area.

I had a heart attack two years ago, and luckily there is a local ambulance depot just six kilometres away from my house, and a public hospital with good ER facilties just 15 minutes away down the M1. A good ER facility can stablise heart patients, in most cases, for transport to larger public hospitals which have cardiac catherisation labs. And as the cardiologist say "time is muscle", meaning the faster you can get to a treatment faciltity the better the odds of your survival. Sorry to be morbid, but people don't seem to factor in their increasing reliance on health care as they age.

I second Ray's comment about the issues of coastal living are decreased the farther away from the sea you can go. If you want to live on the beach, so to speak, the impact on astronomy will be constant. However, if your willing to be say ten or fifteen minutes inland, in an elevated location, things are very much better.