Thread: Covid-19
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 09:38 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

hysteria
/hɪˈstɪərɪə/
noun
1. exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement.

No hysteria on my part Peter... I just don't fancy losing good friends, my mother-in-law simply to keep everyones freedoms to do as they please, as they please... when some relatively short term restrictions can likely prevent it...

I seriously think you need to stop focussing on how things are going in Australia & take a wider look at the world we are part of mate... you have sought to downplay the significance of this event from the get go... you cite Australian figures in isolation to support your view.

Have a look at the countries that aren't doing so well... some of them have pretty good health care too but, all the same, they are struggling to get on top of it & as a result, have far stricter lockdowns in place than we do...

Sure, everyone dies... we are dying from the day we are born... no need to hasten it though don't you think?

Your statement about co-morbidity is actually not completely true; again... look outside Australia please, whilst not in great numbers, there are people dying, including young people with no underlying health conditions...

There is evidence emerging in South Korea that reinfections may be occuring & if true, this does not bode well for herd immunity or possibly even for an effective vaccine...

The point Peter is, plenty is known about all the 'killers' you've listed & there is significant ongoing scientific research aimed at finding cures.

Conversely, very little is known about Covid 19.. somehow I don't think the world or this country is particularly keen on just letting it run it's course & seeing what happens because, you know... everyone dies eventually & there are other things out there that can kill you after all....

I get it Peter, your bored, you're frustrated & I can even see your point on some of the restrictions not making sense but, from where I sit, you appear to advocate that this is nothing & we should just get on with business as usual because Australia is doing really well.... sorry mate, it doesn't work that way...

Sorry but, as someone else said earlier... it's a bit like all the Y2K naysayers who think nothing happened... yeah, nothing happened because things were done to make sure nothing bad happened... dunno about you but, can't say I'm real keen to 'see what happens' if we do nothing about the Covid 19 spread...

Sure, people will argue in the future that it was nothing (in Australia) & we didn't need all those heavy handed restrictions... shame the only way we can find out is to lift them & see what happens...

Game to try that response are you?