View Single Post
Old 14-11-2013, 09:59 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy3476 View Post
the eyepieces are 1.25" and the ones that were supplied with the scope are SR4mm, H12.5mm, HM25mm and H6mm. I get great clear views of the moon with all of them. would i be able to see Andromeda galaxy m31 with any of these?
The telescope you have was designed more for high power in mind. The Andromeda galaxy needs very low power, wide field and light gathering ability. While you may see the Andromeda galaxy (best with the 25mm) it will just look like a faint oval smudge, no better than the eye. Binoculars would be better.

There are a couple of ways to supplement your venture into astronomy. I highly recommend binoculars. As mentioned they are great for big objects like the Andromeda galaxy, milky way and clusters.

The eyepieces you have are okay for the moon, but they are pretty marginal for anything else. Use them for now but keep in mind there are much better ones out there. It's good that they are 1.25 inch. That's a popular size with a good upgrade path when you are ready.

Oh and be sure to get a good star map or planetary program for the computer. Stellarium is free to download and is very good. I use it all the time.

Last edited by cometcatcher; 14-11-2013 at 10:11 PM.