View Single Post
Old 14-01-2021, 04:08 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I use a 12” Goto dob for observing at my retirement holiday home on the South Coast ( Bortle 3 )
After purchasing my first Televue eye piece 4 years ago ( a Delos 10mm ) I was hooked on Televue ( fortunate to be able to afford them )
The Ethos 21mm 100deg is my favourite eye piece for observing most Nebula, especially M42 Orion in the summer months.I don’t use my UHC filter on this object and the views are absolutely incredible. On stable nights the trapezium core is easily resolved ( mostly 4 stars but I have seen the 5th on occasions ) and the wispy nebulosity extends way way out forever into deep space.
Yes the Ethos 21mm is a heavy beast at 1020gm coupled with my Paracorr type 2 Coma corrector which is another heavy beast but I have a big solid scope and the 2” focuser holds the huge arrangement nice and tight with no movement. Looking forward to observing Carina over the next few months during the dark with my Ethos 21mm.For Carina I use a UHC filter which provides good definition, contrast and colour to this huge Nebula
Probably the next favourite wide field eye piece would be my Ethos 4.7mm SX 110 deg eye piece for Lunar observing. Again on the right night with a waxing or waning 40% to 60% moon the views are incredible , a real “space walk feel” as Al Nagler of Televue has mentioned over the years. This eye pieces in my 12” provides stunning wide field super close views of the lunar terrain with excellent contrast and colour which improve towards the terminator due to the shadows of the craters, rills and mountains.