View Single Post
Old 17-03-2006, 05:08 AM
Hammerman
Director of Lint Pickers

All I can say about my review with the 100apo vs 200 reflector issue your discussing is this....

Maybe it's because I live in the suburbs of a large city where light pollution is fairly heavy. Maybe it's because of the difference in contrast with or without the central obstruction. Maybe it's because of the baffles on the 100 help in light polluted areas. Maybe it's because I'm close to 50 and even though I don't need glasses (my Dr. says my eyes are fine), my eyes aren't as good as they were when I was 20. I don't have a good reason why, I just know what my eye sees.

I will say that the 200mm image is much bigger and brighter using the same ep's. For DSO's the larger scope is a big improvement. But when it comes to our solar system I honestly have darker backgrounds and sharper images in the 100mm scope. For the record, after 4 years I know how to properly collimate my dob. I use a cheshire site tool instead of my LaserMate, because the cheshire is a bit more accurate. Cool down times? At least an hour.... usually longer before I use it. Yes, the mirror is good... at least I get concentric circles when I do a star test after collimation. Granted it's not a high quality mirror, it's just one of the Orion Chinese made ones.

Other than that, I don't know what to say except I honestly wrote in my review exactly what I see in the eyepiece of each telescope. Maybe I should have left all reference of the XT8 out of there.

Starkler, customer service in the USA is only par for the course at a very few companies. Orion is one of the few. Sadly most companies are not that good at all anymore.