Thread: Queenslander!
View Single Post
Old 28-01-2022, 12:58 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Narrow band imaging not withstanding, I have long thought that deep sky images should capture the colours of nature. Ansell Adams, surprisingly worked with colour film for almost as long as he used black and white, but while he photographed vast fields of yellow blooms or red rocks bathed setting sunlight, he never found the need to shift the colour of chlorophyll to yellow or blue.

BBW56 is dominated by red H-alpha light. Yet it is shown here in golden tones. It’s a great image, but the colour assignment so arbitrary that it reminds me of 60’s Pop Art, rather than Astrophotography.

Perhaps to better express my view on this: Marilyn Monroe stunning visage did not need Andy Warhol to posterise her portrait, but that Andy was not interested in landscapes Pop Art treatment is hardly verboten, and if it floats your boat, then good for you.

There are many cool aspects to this rendering, but I would have been curious to discover what deep, dim and real colours might have lurked in this skyscape.