View Single Post
Old 24-11-2010, 04:59 PM
mozzie (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shano592 View Post
Well, the new scope and accessories arrived over the weekend. I must say, I'm glad I didn't go for the 12-inch, as the 10 is inside my ability to lift, but not by a whole lot.

One thing that I am having trouble with ... in the calibration area, the telescope obviously tries to find the South Celestial Pole, being in the Southern Hemisphere. It asks you to centre on Sigma Octantis, which appears to be the closest star to the SCP.

My problem is, that Octans is a very unremarkable constellation, and I couldn't tell Sigma Octantis from any of its sisters.

So, to those who have done it, how do I determine which is Sigma?

BTW, the scope is staggeringly fun. It can align itself (as one option), and last night I had it hitting Jupiter (and 4 moons), the Tarantula Nebula, and 47 Tucanae, right to the centre of the 10mm EP.

Woolies has 8x C-cell Duracells for $13.50. So far I have gotten about 5 hours of runtime out of them. A lot more than everyone has been saying I would.
hi shane
ive just calibrated the sensors on my meade scope.and i also did this on my lx90.
ok i cant see scp ive trees to the south so this is what ive done.
align your scope as usual go to a bright star in the south acernar,canopus etc,then if needed sync to centre know a star in the south is in the centre of eyepiece.put high precision on, then enter the s.a.o no: for scp it will then take you to another close by star centre it then it goes to scp. i then put my setting circle dec:to 0 r.a:to 0....
you then goto calibrate sensors it does an alignment again then goes to scp you can then see how far out the ra & dec are just put them to 0 again and your scope is that close to scp its not funny......
when i align my scope know the to stars are in the eyepiece or just out within 2 deg on the telrad i hope this helps