View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 01:07 PM
JoelRed (Joel)

Banding issue when taking flats with light box

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me with an issue I've been having while using a recently purchased light box.

When attempting to take flat frames using the newly purchased light box, I get a horizontal banding issue on all my frames. This only occurs when using the light box, not when using the old t-shirt and sky method. Nor does this banding show up in frames of any other description (light, dark, bias etc.)

The light box used LEDs and is powered using a 5.5x2.1mm 12V DC connector with a variable resistance dimmer in-line. I have tried powering it directly from my ASIair and also independently from a 12V DC Li-Ion battery pack.

I have varied the intensity using the included dimmer all the way from full bright to full dim with exposure times varying from 110ms to 5sec, the banding persists throughout.

I have tried rotated the light box 90 degrees and the banding remains horizontal.

I have also tried taking the dimmer out and using the inbuilt PWM function of the ASIair to no avail.

I have attached some photos to help demonstrate what I am talking about. The banding is not a consistent pattern and it changes with every frame. Please forgive the poor image quality, its hard to get them below 200kb!

The relevant equipment I am using is as follows:

Esprit 120ED
ZWO ASI2600MM Pro
ZWO ASIair Pro
12V/10A AC to DC power adapter
Powertech 12V DC Li-Ion portable power centre

If anybody has any ideas of whats going on here, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0369 copy red.jpg)
176.9 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0370 copy red.jpg)
181.2 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0371 copy red.jpg)
178.1 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0372 copy red.jpg)
187.5 KB37 views