View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
I got a bit of silver spray paint if that would help ...
Hehe, that might actually be an improvement!
From looking at the mirror last time I cleaned it I think I'm losing maybe 20-25% of the light. I can see through it in many places, there are clear pits all over without any coating left, and if I hold it up against a light source I can clearly see some of the light making it through also where the coating is still in place. It must be very thin now.
The secondary is in a similar state, so effectively I might be losing maybe 35-40% of the total light at the moment. Scary!
I'm thinking of getting a set of RF Royce mirrors, or similar quality. The conical Royce mirrors have the added benefit of being much lighter and easier to cool.

Actually I'd prefer to just have them re-coated, but I'm not aware of any places in NZ that offer this service? With the cost of safe packaging and shipping overseas and back I might just as well get a whole new set.

But the focus at the moment is to upgrade my camera to a 'real' one, most likely QSI. That will give me the biggest boost by far and is also the more expensive item so I prefer to get that purchase done first.