JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
JA,
I bow to your knowledge
Ha ha , Ken.... Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
The reason this became an investigation for me was to determine the impact of the sky background noise in a spectral image.
I have a few calculations which are used and have the Sky magnitude in mag/arcsec^2 as a starting point.

When I look at this in detail the definition of "which star" magnitude is assumed? S(10) standard....a red star or a blue star or what????

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10...40-07615-8_450

Basically I need to end up with the sky background in photons/ sec.
Any comment/ ideas???
Depends.... Possibly: You mentioned that you do a few calculations involving the Sky Magnitude. If you already have a reliable method that you trust to go from an SQM reading in mag/arcsec^2 to sky background in photons/ sec then I may be able to help somewhat, but it would be good to know whether you get your sky magnitude in mag/arcsec^2 from an SQM Meter, LightPollution Map, other method?

If you don't already get your Sky Magnitude in mag/arcsec^2 from some form of direct measurement of your Sky AND if you have a reliable method to go from the SQM reading in mag/arcsec^2 to sky background flux in photons/ sec, then I believe I could offer some help.

Best
JA