View Single Post
Old 24-03-2016, 12:26 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Well... most recent models (the D5500, D7100, D7200, D750, D810) are ISO invariant, which is a fairly big deal and worth paying considerably more for - particularly when it comes to low light photography.

Some of the other features are worth having, too. The higher quality LCD display is one. The major lack of controls on the D3300 is going to be very hard to get used to. No aperture preview is a bit annoying. And no ISO button!! Argh!! I know I can assign the Fn button, but I usually use that for spot metering for (I do a lot of stage & live performance photography; admittedly I'm not planning to with this camera, but the lack of proper controls is a definite drawback).

Then there's the fact it's 12 bit instead of 14. The smaller battery & shorter life. The single SD card slot. Etc etc. All this in addition to a clearly inferior sensor - seriously, the sensor in the D750 is insanely good; I wouldn't be surprised if the D750 at ISO 12,800 is better than the D3300 at ISO 3200.

On the other hand, I don't care about the lack of AF motor - I don't own vintage lenses or ever plan to. I look forward to the small size and light weight. It's got the nice new processor and all the video capability of its bigger brothers. Its sensor should (hopefully) do the job. Most of all, the thing costs so little, there's really no right to complain - of course it'll come up short when compared to cameras costing five times as much!!

Anyway. Looking forward to using it, and to seeing some more of your results! Hopefully you're getting clearer skies down there than we are in Sydney...