View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 11:07 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Warning this is a Hi-Jack,

Dean,

I have been looking at 2nd hand dslr's, as the better half likes the idea of a good camera as well.

Can I ask what's involved in your setup and if its not rude a rough price as well.

*We have a 4k TV and I was wondering about transmitting a 4k signal instead of the 1080p format.
There was a bit involved for me to get to the point of EAA with my DSLR. I had a Sony A6000 not doing a whole lot, so started wondering how it would go as an Astro camera. The main things for me to get were a bahtinov mask, ZWO 2” filter drawer, spacers, a field flattener / reducer for my C9.25, some cables and the adaptors to go on each end to hook it all up with the right back focus. Other than that, it was mostly about software and drivers. I ended up using Stellarium, the Sony Remote suite, an Ascom driver that was written for the Alpha cameras and Sharpcap Pro. The bits and pieces required to hook it all up cost about $500 excluding the camera which I already had.

I ended up documenting the set up as I went in case I ever had to go through it again. With regard to 4K, I’m not sure that you would get the best results connecting a camera’s HDMI out directly to a 4K tv as it wouldn’t allow you to layer timed exposures. You would only ever be able to look at a single frame. At least with the Sony the chip is 6000x4000 which I believe exceeds 4K so there might be possibilities for using a 4K capable laptop running Sharpcap to drive it all.