View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 02:00 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I use a Sony A6000 as an astro camera, really for EAA - so my requirements are similar to yours in terms of exposure length and what I want it to do for me. The results for what really is a camera that was never designed to be an astro camera are great.

Having noted that, you need a little bit of gear to connect it to a telescope and make it work properly (T2 adaptor for the camera, T2 adaptor for the scope, spacers to get the right back focus, filter drawer if you want one, coma corrector in your case if necessary).

If you're thinking of using a DSLR, you might want to check that your chosen software supports that camera. Alternatively you might want to check for the availability of an ASCOM driver for the camera. You may potentially need a solution for remotely updating the manual camera settings and releasing the shutter etc if an ASCOM driver won't do it for you.

For the A6000 there's a decent driver solution, but I'm not sure that it would be the best DSLR for the job. For me it was a great start though, and immediately opened up more targets to view that I could never spot easily from my backyard. I now observe inside, with everything remotely operated outside - much more comfortable