View Single Post
Old 20-06-2021, 01:50 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

You guys talk about these vaccines like we've never done this before

The Oxford-AZ vaccine was produced rapidly because (as with the UQ effort), a lot of the research had already been done during the original SARS and MERS events, and they also employed a vaccine vector commonly used for flu vaccines...in layman's terms, it was comparable to a cut-and-paste. That doesn't make them any less effective, it is well trodden ground, and this strategy has been working out pretty well for us these past few decades.

The mRNA vaccines are new in this case only in the scale of their deployment. mRNA technology has been around for a while now, we just didn't have a global pandemic handy to make it cost effective to deploy on a large scale. These leverage our body's existing protein factory to produce small quantities of a protein from a template we provide (the mRNA), that was designed to resemble the spike protein that has proven so effective at getting the virus into our cells. This then provokes an immune response that generates antibodies that then persist to fend of a "real" infection. It's akin to learning the words to a song so that you can sing along at a concert.

So, yes, we do have a grasp of how effective these vaccines are and what the risks are. Show a little respect for the efforts of the scientists that have worked tirelessly for the past 18 months trying to keep us safe, not to mention the millions that have lost their lives (and continue to do so) before these become more widely available.

Anyone believing that side-effects are the exception not the rule, then I recommend you do your research... start with biology and chemistry and let me know when you understand clinical trials Over the counter medicines such ibuprofen and paracetamol have their fair share of side-effects, heck even water consumption has side-effects.

If anyone is seriously curious enough for more information, then feel free to PM me...I have some experience with this kind of stuff

(Note if you PM: "viewpoints" will be ignored, only scientific evidence will be discussed)