View Single Post
Old 23-01-2023, 09:47 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Greg

I am not a heavy, every-night user, but I use @Focus3 in The Sky X Pro and have found it to be stable and reliable once you set up the parameters correctly (a one-off process with F Ratio, Focuser step size, Camera Pixel size).

From the SB website:
"Introduction
@Focus3 is a new focusing technique now available in TheSkyX Professional and TheSky LTI. @Focus3 is contrast based as opposed to using a single star’s half flux diameter or full width half maximum. While you can still quickly focus using a single non-saturated star, you can now also focus on a field of stars (some of which can be saturated), the entire frame, a galaxy, nebula, or even a planet such as Jupiter or Saturn, or the Moon or Sun (with proper filters for solar imaging). You can even focus on terrestrial targets. Because of this, it is now more practical than ever to remain on a target during an imaging sequence and refocus without having to slew off to a focus star; other than the meridian flip, you can now stay on target and refocus in situ as desired."

I have only used it on single stars so far, so cannot comment on the other modes of operation.

Cheers

Dennis