Thread: 10" F4 build
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
Hi Brent,

the dovetail bar is the bit that worries me as mine is the vixen type for the heq5 which is quite narrow.
if you attach the mount on the bar section that's outside the central brace, won't that bar flex as the bar is only fixed to the central brace by bolts along its axis and not like a wide flat that Rolf or Doomsayer uses that has bolts side by side covering a larger area.
That would distribute the shearing forces a bit wider than the narrow dovetail bar.
in my case, I'll be mounting an ST80 on the opposite side which weighs around 2kg's all up.
what I'd planned to do was to bolt a wide plate in the central section and then bolt the dovetail bar on that as then the shear would be across a broader section of the aluminium square and the plate would shear less than the section of Al square tube where the dovetail bar is fixed.
I'm also looking at Carbon fibre sheets I found on EBay.
They're 2.75mm and I'm wondering if I can sandwich a few layers. Just a thought.
My centre cage has been widened to 120mm by use of extra square section on the lower side plus two right angle alum brackets outside that. All held by a couple of 100 mm bolts through the whole assembly.
Heres a pic, not a great pic but you should be able to see how it goes together..
Dovetail is bolted to this directly with about 110mm gap between two bolts. It doesn't move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Black7Cagemount.jpg)
114.3 KB135 views