Thread: 10" F4 build
View Single Post
Old 27-02-2012, 05:55 PM
alistairsam

10" F4 build

Hi,

I'm starting off with my build of a 10" F4 OTA targeted at AP. I've ordered the primary and secondary mirrors from Orion Optics in the UK and should have them this week.
I was looking for ideas with building a 6 point mirror cell and secondary holder and had a few questions

in threads here, velcro is mentioned as a good material to secure the primary to the mirror cell. I don't want to fix it permanently so velcro sounds good, but which type of velcro do you use and how do you stick it to the underside of the mirror and where do you get them?
second, as this will be used for imaging, is there a possibility of the mirror shifting ever so slightly if velcro is used?

For the secondary holder, I might use a solid wooden rod with a 45 degree cut. what type of silicon do you use and can you get them at bunnings or similar hardware stores?
I will be building a wire spider similar to Rolf serrurier truss ota.
I still have to figure out how the secondary holder will be held by the wire spider.

For the OTA itself, it will be a truss, just finalizing the designs now.
I had plans to build a 12" F4, but since I need to keep it portable enough, I decided on a 10".

thanks