View Single Post
Old 14-04-2008, 05:55 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

Hi Fahim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Hi All,

Need some input on this differences in these two camera's that would make one better than the other for Astroimaging. Is there amp glow present in the 20d's?
Yes, all 350's, 20d's, 30d's have amp glow. The 300D have 2 amp glows. Amp glow can be subtracted from dark frames.
Quote:
From what I have read the features of the 30D over the 20D only one seems to be of any use to Astroimaging. That is the ISO speed of 3200. However the rest like bigger screen size and spot meetering dont seem all that important to Astroimaging. Is there something else about the 30D over the 20D that makes it more worthwhile to get?
The 30D and the 20D both have the same cmos sensor. the 30d have all the additional bits and pieces such as bigger LCD screen, iso3200 etc but for astro imaging, no difference here.

Quote:
I just have it the back of my head that perhaps the 20D is special because Canon chose it to be there one and only Astro camera body. Would a modded 20d be for all intents and purposes the same as the the 20DA? Are there features on the 20DA not available on a modded 20D?
The 20DA has liveview whereas the standard 20d don't. If the standard 20D is modded, it is a much better camera than a 20DA for astro imaging. However, the 20DA is also build for daytime photography but you certainly can use a modded 20D with UV/IR for daytime photography also with correct CWB. in regards to this, the 20DA will be better off for daytime compared to a modified 20D.

Quote:
Rough pricing i have using used Camera body's is 550 landed for a 350D and 700 landed for a 20D and about 900 for a 30D. I ruled out the 30D simply on price because saving a few more months i could get a QHY8. The 350d is almost in budget and at a stretch the 20D would be doable.

Also is the Baader ACF II filter the same as a UV/IR Filter?
Yes same coatings as the UV/IR.

Regards
Fahim[/quote]

Cheers Fahim, ask away.