View Single Post
Old 19-03-2022, 06:02 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

A Squiz At Orion

Hi all. Last night I decided to have a go at observing some targets in the constellation Orion before it goes for the season and before I get preoccupied with galaxy season. Orion looked magnificent naked eye just past the meridian and heading west. All my observations were carried out with my 10 inch dobsonian.

M42: Would be rude not to start with the constellations crown jewel, the Orion Nebula. The presence of the full moon seemed to bring out more colour in it. It appeared shockingly green to me. At 300x the view was startling, lots of nebulosity and dark lumps.

Alnitak: Had my best ever views of this tight double. 343x split it cleanly.

NGC 2022: A tiny but moderately bright planetary nebula. Examination at high powers revealed a bright concentration on one side.

M78: The other Messier nebula in Orion. Looked rather faint due to the full moon. Two misty stars look like headlights in a fog.

NGC 2169: the "37" cluster. A charming open cluster that does look like the number 37. Delightful!

NGC 1981: Sparse but rather bright open cluster near M42. There is a double on the outskirts of this cluster which adds to the beauty.

Sigma Orionis: Lovely multiple star, looked great in the moonlight. Another double Struve 761 is in the same field. Delightful duo!

Clouds started to arrive, signalling the end of my session. It was nice to spend some time in Orion checking out the sights. I wish you all clear skies!

Joe