View Single Post
Old 11-01-2022, 03:33 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Taking flats, calibrating them and integrating them successfully to produce an even clean flat field is a tough task which has taken me 3 to 4 months with my Newts and 2600MC camera.Many posts and replies on IIS , ZWO forum , DSS forum and ADT forum plus many nights taking calibration frames.
It’s definitely not “one shoe fits all” for various scope and camera combos plus different software can give different results too
For instance folk on another forum who used my camera ( 2600MC ) in a 120mm refractor with NINA and same T shirt method find that Dark flats calibrate Flats better than Bias. With my newts I’ve proven over and over with and without the L Extreme filter that Bias frames calibrate Flats the best ( Dark Flats and Dark are a disaster )
I use a White T shirt and a Huion LED tracing dimmable panel
Target ADU is set at 22,000 in ADT and Flats end up 1/3 to 1/2 on histogram ( ADU range of approx 8500 to 32,000 ) and exposure time of 0.4 to 0.5 sec . With an L Extreme filter exposure time is around 5 to 7 sec.
My only advice to spend time experimenting with your Flats and calibration frames to get the best outcomes
There’s no straightforward manual or handbook on taking good Flats that work well. Although I’m sure medium to larger newts are more difficult than the smaller aperture 80mm or 120mm refractors.
One bit of advice I was given on DSS was to ensure the back end of the newt was covered and not allowing any light seeping in. I bought a $2 shower cap from Woolies , sprayed it Matt black and it just fits over the back end , works a treat ( fits up to a 10” newt )
Good Luck with your Flats and Calibration
Martin