View Single Post
Old 11-01-2022, 01:46 PM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
If you end up using a duo band filter you need to look at the histogram to see where the peaks are and adjust your target ADC upwards (And probably the panel brightness as well to keep to the same exposure time) as the average will probably be skewed downwards by the filter.

[…]

Noise wise, even at -5 it is still less than 1 electron per pixel per minute so even a very long exposure for the camera (Say 10 minutes) is only going to add up to about 10 ADC across the image at 120 gain and a master dark should subtract it away nicely anyway.
This is great info Paul, thanks. I have an Optolong L-Extreme duoband. I assume I need to keep it on when taking flats? I’m not sure I understand what you mean about targeting ADC upwards according to the duoband peaks. I guess having a filter means that exposure time will be a little longer than without a filter? Speaking of flats though, I have an LED tracing board I can use (See third image https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165175229351). However, it’s not perfectly white like paper, in that there is a small network of LED lights in a grid-like formation. Would that adversely affect the flats? Would a white t-shirt fix this?

The temperature tip is much appreciated. I was getting a little ambitious in wanting the coolest temperature possible, but treating the camera well will result in it treating me well. I’ll stick to -5 & -10 so as not to put too much strain on the camera.