View Single Post
Old 17-12-2021, 07:11 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
Thanks Ryan. If I want to progress in this hobby, I realize I will eventually need a dedicated astro camera and probably will end up buying one! I’ll stick to the DSLR for now though and gain some experience first.
Absolutely the advice I would give. My statement certainly wasn’t to say that DSLR imaging is no good and in fact I think it’s a great way to cut your teeth and develop a good understanding of what you’re doing. Finding the limitations of DSLR imaging will help you learn a lot about noise ( thermal and read ). It will help you learn a lot about calibration frames and how much impact they make. Dedicated cameras can have such low noise that you may skip over doing darks for example thinking they’re not necessary. Making them a part of your work flow now when you need them will give you good imaging processes down the track when you do make the leap. What you are doing right now by asking questions and developing a proper understanding of the nuances of astrophotography as you go is fantastic so keep it up 👍