View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 02:22 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Don’t be too disappointed , it’s a pretty good image of the Rosette considering your set up
The sweet spot for dynamic range on the Nikon 5300 from what I’ve read is ISO 200 , but you can try ISO400 as well
The Rosette has a brightness of magnitude 9.0 object so very dim target ( compared to the Lagoon at magnitude 6.0 or M42 Orion at magnitude 4.0 )
Your limiting factors in regard to this target -
Sky conditions ?
Moon phase ?
Bortle value for Skyglow ( seems like your in semi dark skies which is good )
Aperture and focal length ( 81mm and 479mm focal length)
Uncooled DSLR camera ( Quantum efficiency of only 40% ) high noise floor even with shorter subs
Uncontrollable temperature for darks
Dim object at mag 9.0

I used a Canon 600D for 3 years and could never get a decent image of the Rosette. Your image, all things considered it quite good so don’t be too disappointed
Maybe next time try a brighter target like M42 and experiment with your ISO ( 200 or 400 ) and keep your subs short like 60sec to 90sec but take 2 to 4 hours worth

Ive imaged with the 2600MC for the past 18 months and it’s really been a massive improvement from the DSLR days , especially using the L Extreme for OSC narrowband imaging under light polluted skies ( Bortle 7/8 ) and moon phases

The cooled CMOS camera bug will bite you as some stage in the future and you won’t regret it , OSC or Mono

Well done and keep at it

I’ll keep a eye out for your future images

Good luck
Martin